Friday, October 22, 2010

Band Profile: John Rardin

"Throughout my life, my musical influences have varied a lot from adolescence to adulthood. Growing up, I was heavily influenced by the classic rock like Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin that my parents listened to. Later when my older brother was in high school I started hearing more hard rock and metal blasting from his room. By 4th grade I started to discover alternative bands like The Smashing Pumpkins and Silverchair. I thought myself saxophone in 5th grade but eventually switched to classical guitar in middle school. For a brief period, I was really into Hardcore and Punk until (strangely), classical guitar became my life. 

In high school I continued to study classical guitar and began to play electric guitar in jazz band. I also started playing bass in the band The Venus Trasnit where I learned to vibe with other musicians and think outside the box. As a senior I auditioned for Radford University's classical guitar program and received a scholarship. For the next two years I lived and breathed guitar until I had an unfortunate accident, which broke my left collarbone. After months with my arm in a sling I was finally able to play guitar again and everything that I was taught suddenly clicked; and I finally understood the instrument. 

Today I manage a little music shop called the Music Doctors in Blacksburg, VA where I get to play a variety of instruments, talk to musicians and read books all day everyday.

Presently I have many different influences for each style (there’s so many!)

Electric guitar (rock)- S.R.V., John Mayer, David Gilmore, Steve Vai and Eric Johnson
Electric guitar (jazz)- Stanley Jordan, Pat Metheny
Acoustic guitar- Don Ross, John Mayer, Andy McKee
Classical guitar- Andrew York, Bach, Barrios, Villa-Lobos
Bass guitar- Victor Wooden, Gary Shea

Bands that have influenced me:
The Smashing Pumpkins
Pink Floyd
The Mars Volta
Apartment 26
Minus the Bear
Thrice
Pulse Ultra
Emery
Dave Matthew's Band 
The Foo Fighters
Led Zeppelin
Mae
Soulive
Circa Survive




No comments:

Post a Comment